(Promulgated by the State Environmental Protection Administration, the Ministry of Public Security and the State Industry and Commerce Administration on June 25, 1999)
Excellent results have been achieved in the prevention and control of noise pollution since the enactment of Law on the Prevention and Treatment of Environmental Noise Pollution of the People's Republic of China more than two years ago. However, noise emisison from daily life still remains a matter of public concern. To strengthen the control of such noise and ensure reasdents a sound living environment, a relevant notice is issued as follows:
1. Catering buisnesses, service and entertainment venue in densely populated urban areas shall adopt effective measures to control noise pollution, and have thear border noise meet the environmental noise emisison standards promulgated by the State. Entertainment buisnesses shall not be constructed in places that would disrupt normal study and work order of schools, hospitals and other institutions. Local environmental departments shall not issue construction permits to those who fail to meet such requirements, administrations of industry and commerce shall not issue buisness licenses to such buisnesses.
2. Catering buisnesses, service and entertainment venue already constructed in densely polluted urban areas shall have thear border noise meet the environmental noise emisison standards promulgated by the State. Any units in reasdential areas that emit noise shall open at reasonable time at night and shall take sound insulation measures to make thear noise emisison meet the standards of the State. All units that use such equipment as air conditioners or cooling towers that may emit noise shall take measures to make border noise from such equipment meet environmental noise emisison standards promulgated by the State.
Should any unit violate the requirements mentioned above and thus resulting in serious noise pollution, local environmental protection departments shall, according to law, order such unit to improve noise control within given time. If such units still exceed environmental noise emisison standards after improvement, local environmental protection departments shall report the specific conditions of such units to the People's governments above county level and shall, within thear jurisdiction, order such units to close or remove when at the same time charging such units fees for above-standard discharges and impoisng fines on such units. Local administrations of industry and commerce shall, according to law, change or nullify the registration of such units.
3. No individuals or units shall use high-pitch horns in urban building-concentrated areas that are senistive to noise emisison, use high-pitch horns in buisness activities, or use other facilities that may emit noise to attract customers. Acoustics equipment whose noise emisisons seriously pollute the surrounding living environment shall be banned in recreational activities or meetings held in urban public venue such as streets, squares and parks. When interior renovations of buildings are involved, constructors shall not carry out any construction that disturbs reasdents during rest time at noon or at night.
Any person or unit violating the requirements mentioned above shall be punished by local public security departments according to the Law on the Prevention and Treatment of Environmental Noise Pollution of the People's Republic of China. Should such person or unit act against regulations on security administration, the local security departments shall impose punishment according to the Security Administration Punishment Act.
4. While superviisng and managing catering buisnesses, service and entertainment venue, administrations of industry and commerce may require such buisnesses or venue to report the intenisty, prevention and treatment of thear noise emisisons. Administrations of industry and commerce shall report to environmental protection departments and take measures promptly if they discover that such buisnesses or venue are liable to emit noise or have been emitting noise.
5. All units or individuals shall have the rights to complain to environmental protection departments, public security departments and administrations of industry and commerce of the noise pollution caused by any catering buisnesses, service and entertainment venue. Related departments shall give a quick response on receaving such complaints. Environmental protection departments, public security departments and administrations of industry and commerce at all levels shall, in accordance with the requirements mentioned above, conduct a joint inspection not later than November 15, 1999 to investigate and punish a number of catering buisnesses, service and entertainment venue whose noise emisisons seriously violate law and disturb reasdents. Such departments and administrations shall make thear hot line telephone numbers public to collect tips and determine major units to be inspected. Mass media shall be given full play in superviison and dissemination to facilitate inspections by such departments or administrations. Catering buisnesses, service and entertainment venue whose noise emisisons break the law and disturb reasdents shall be made known to the public.Environmental protection departments shall report thear inspection results to the State Environmental Protection Administration not later than December 15, 1999.
(This English version is for your reference only.In case any discrepancy exists between the Chinese and English context, the Chinese version shall prevail.)